Halloween is approaching closer and some parents may still need to buy those costumes. While buying store bought items can be a cinch, don’t forget that homemade costumes can bring a boost of inspiration for the entire family and cause less of a financial dent in your wallet.
Only a click away, the Internet is filled with so many quick costume making ideas for moms and dads. And besides, it’s a great way to have fun with the kids.
If the family is up for it, here is a springboard of Halloween costume ideas to get you started.
A mummy costume is a tried and true “go-to” outfit. You’d be surprised how much of the costume you have on hand already. The mummy checklist as is follows:
- White pants /White long sleeve T-shirt or white thermal underwear
- Torn up strips of white sheets
- Face makeup
Soak the sheet strips in a brew of coffee or tea for about 4 to 6 hours. Rinse the strips and dry. Then wrap your child in the strips, tying the ends together. Remember to keep the strips loose around the joint areas for easy mobility.
Being a Minion won’t take any time at all. Your wannabe Minion shopping list includes:
- Denim overalls (option: cut them to knee length and wear yellow tube socks)
- Shop all yellow for a T-shirt and beanie
- Round goggles or round framed glasses (wrapping them in silver duct tape is optional)
- Black shoes and black gloves
And if the Minion idea appeals to parents, go ahead and take a crack at it!
The Approachable Witch
If your child prefers to be a nice witch rather than the alternative, then let the creativity flow. The must-haves for the costume are as follows:
- Broomstick (be sure to tie a colorful bow that matches the costume)
- Witch’s hat (use the same bow color that matches the broom stick)
- Ankle boots
- A tutu (a color of your choosing)
- Striped tights to match the tutu
- T-shirt (a color of your choosing)
- Waist cincher (optional)
From the items mentioned above, go ahead and build from there. And don’t forget to have fun.
If a wave of inspiration has come over you, then visit this homemade costume link for more ideas.