Choosing an Egg Donor
Choosing the Right Egg Donor for You
Choosing the right egg donor is not easy. There are multiple things to take into consideration when deciding which qualities are important to you in creating your family. At Extraordinary Conceptions, we try to simplify the process by providing information about some of the most common egg donation questions and concerns.
- Anonymous vs. Known Egg Donation – TThis is one of the most important decisions you will have to make. You can choose to have a ‘known egg donor’ or an ‘anonymous egg donor.’ When choosing a known egg donor, we can help you to define the involvement that you would like the egg donor to have in your life and/or your child’s life. An ‘anonymous’ egg donor’s identity is never revealed to you and thus, a confidential and clearly defined relationship is formed.
- Physical Appearance – This category is usually very important to intended parents. With both known and anonymous donors you will be able to view their current & childhood photos and read their profiles to determine if their physical traits are a good match for you. However with known donors, you also have the ability to meet them once they have been medically cleared by your IVF clinic and all agency documents have been completed. If physical features are not as important to you, then you have even more options in our egg donor database.
- Medical History – It’s crucial to evaluate the donor’s medical history carefully. We provide different elements of an egg donor’s medical history throughout the sections of our egg donor database. Our questions help evaluate if donors might be carriers for certain genetic diseases. Your IVF clinic can provide you with more information about genetic testing as well as their medical screening requirements for your egg donor.
- Personality of the Donor – Some intended parents want more information about their donor’s personality traits and characteristics. If you plan on getting to know your donor, then finding more information about the donor’s qualities using our egg donor database is a great option.
- Location –While it is important to take the location of a donor into account, keep in mind that your case manager can help you find an egg donor that is near your IVF clinic if that’s what you prefer. If your donor is not local, we’ll manage all of the travel arrangements so that you don’t have to. We like to emphasize the importance of finding the right egg donor for you. Keep in mind that travel costs range based on distance traveled, but any unused travel funds are always returned.
- Repeat Donors – Choosing a donor who has already been through the egg donation process can have its advantages, but does not necessarily guarantee success. It can be reassuring to work with a repeat donor as she is already familiar with the process and her body responds well to medications. We’re happy to work with any recommendations your IVF physician may have given you in finding you the best donor to meet your family’s needs.
If you are interested in learning more about egg donation, please contact Extraordinary Conceptions today. We will answer all of your questions about what you can expect from the egg donation process and offer insights into what options will work best for you. Egg donation can make the impossible, possible and help bring a child into your arms. Learn more about choosing an egg donor today! To complete our Future Parents application, click HERE. If you’ve already registered as a Future Parent, you can log in to your account HERE to search for available egg donors. If you’re interested in becoming an egg donor and helping others become parents, please submit the Egg Donor application HERE.